Thursday, June 18, 2015

Let's Get This Done!

Hi Everyone. I've been a bit slow about posting blogs and getting these bunnies done. 
So let's finish this. 
 
 
I've got the basic colors mapped out.  That actually takes longer than it looks because you have to be a lot more careful with your edges, especially on the first coat.  The second and third coats (if necessary) take less time.
 

 
Ears for bunnies and cats, are actually quite fuzzy, with lots of long hairs poking out.  To replicate this effect, I used a fan brush and got it quite dry, then stroked it over the ears. It sorta worked.
 
 
I want the base to be a vibrant green, so I tested some colors to see what I liked. 
Going with the bright green there.
 
 
As you can see, I've added the stripes back in to the shirt and covered the red dress with a pink pearlized acrylic paint.  Looks shimmery.  On the eyes, I used black gloss paint, rimmed them in white, just like the bunny from my last blog, then added a dot of blue gloss to the black.  When that was dry, I added a tiny white dot to look like a reflection.
Now comes the detail on the dress. 
 

 
 I used pearlized acrylic paint in purples, greens, and yellows.  A very spring time dress, I think.  Much better than the original sack.  In fact, it's still a sack of a dress, but now,
its a sack with flowers all over it.  :)
 
My boy bunny got dots on his kerchief,...
 

 
 ...dashes on his britches and I just couldn't resist that big flower on his knees and big belly.
 

 
More dots and dashes to add pockets and seams.  These little details "make" any makeover. 
This kind of detail is just not done much on mass produced items that need to be done quickly.
 
 
For her flower, I used yellow on the outside and tangerine orange on the inside to make a two color tulip.  The leaves were painted a solid color of green, then I took a darker green, added water to it to make a wash and carefully dripped it into the lines.
 
 
The base was made up of three colors of green.  First the medium, then a darker, then a brushing of yellow-green.  Finally, I'm ready to finish.  I chose to use an acrylic varnish.  There's no smell to these and they do make a nice shiny finish, but you have to be careful, because they bubble easily.  Be sure to paint out the bubbles.  I did 2 coats of the varnish.
 
And here they are all finished! 



 
Don't forget to sign your work!
 
And here's the difference. 
Before.
After
 
I don't know that they look better, but I do think they have more character
and are all ready for Easter.
 
Finally, I can get on to some other projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment